One of the best cakes we've had this year!
The Apple Pecan Cake made a few weeks ago was delicious. It was barely around long enough to get a few photos. The challenge with fruit cakes (as with much of cooking/baking) is managing moisture.
In my recent post - Classic Pineapple Upside Down Cake - I shared a first write up using graphics. If you are visual like me I hope you'll find this useful.
---recipe is adapted from joanne chang's apple snack cake in flour
Step 1: Ingredients
Infographics have become popular ways to communicate information. For a visual person like me it is much easier to see a recipe drawn out on a single sheet of paper.
Ingredients - Dry + Spices
- 1 c. Flour - king arthur flour
- 3/4 c. Cake Flour - king arthur cake flour
- 1-1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon - (amzn for $.39/oz)
- 1/4 tsp Ginger - (amzn for $.62/oz)
- 1/8 tsp Cloves - (amzn for $1.28/oz)
Ingredients - Wet
- 1-1/2 c. Sugar
- 3/4 c. Butter
- 2 Eggs - see how we prepare our backyard chickens for winter...
Ingredients - Accent / Filling
- 1 c. Pecans (kirkland on amzn at $.58/oz)
- 1/2 c. Raisins
- 4 c. Apples
Step 2: Apple Slicing
We picked the apples at a Southeast MN orchard. Best baking apples are Northern Spy!
Step 3: Chopped Pecans
Easy to chop the pecans with a sharp chef's knife. Toast for 15-25min at 375F / 180C.
Step 4: Mix Dry
Mix dry ingredients using a sift. If you don't use a sift it's ok. Easy to use any strainer.
Step 5: Combine Wet + Dry + Accent
Use a stand mixer if you have it but easy to also do the work with a whisk/spatula.
Wet Ingredients (process for adding):
- Add Sugar + Butter - beat 1min at medium
- Add Eggs - beat for 15 sec on low
- Extra Beat - 1 min at medium-high
Once the wet ingredients are incorporated switch to a spatula to fold in the apples, raisins, pecans.
Step 6: Bake + Enjoy
Pour batter into a ~13" bunt pan. Well greased!
- Oven should be pre-heated to 350F / 175C. Expect an 80min bake time. You may want to check the cake with a wooden toothpick at 70 min and every 5 min from there. Toothpick will come out clean when done.
Enjoy & Happy Thanksgiving! Jeff
Hope you've found the visual recipe useful. Any comments are welcome - this one really is fantastic!
Here are a few other recent baking instructables: