Facebook changed layouts recently, adding a row of 5 images (the 5 images you were most recently tagged in) at the top of the profile page. Using Photoshop (or G.I.M.P. or MSPaint if you'd rather), you can make mini-images to fill this space and show off your creativity.
Note: Check this out for the awesome inspiration behind this and more ideas
Step 1: Making Mini-Images
- Take a screenshot of your profile. I'm a huge fan of Snagit (which is available for both Mac and PC), which isawesome for taking screenshots. Alternately, if you're using a Mac, you can use Grab or if you're using a PC, you can use the Print Screen key on your keyboard
- Open your screenshot in Photoshop (or other photo editing program)
- Select and delete the areas where the 5 tagged images are (and your main profile image, if you'll be replacing it also)
- Create a new layer and place it behind the existing one
- Select an image (or images) you'd like to use and paste them onto this new layer
- Resize the image and make adjustments as needed so that it shows through panes in the way that you'd like
- Select the areas for each of the mini-images, and cut and paste each into a new document, and save
- If you're creating a main profile image to go along with the mini-images, select, cut and paste, and save the same way to create that image
Step 2: Create a New Album
- Log onto Facebook and go to your profile page
- Under the row of 5 images at the top of your profile, click "Photos"
- Select "Create an Album"
- In the resulting dialog box, select "Select Photos" and browse to select the 5 images you created
- Reorder the images so that they appear correctly at the top of your profile page - you should have the image that you want to appear at the far right side as the last image in your new album
- Tag yourself in each image
Step 3: Change Main Image
- Mouse over your profile picture and click "Change Picture"
- Select "Chose File" and select the file you created previously
- Wait for it to upload
Step 4: Check Your Work
- Check to make sure that all your changes have taken effect
- Make any adjustments that might be needed keeping in mind that if anyone tags you in an image (including yourself), it will replace one of the images you've added and they'll all be "pushed" to the right
- Enjoy your awesome new profile!
Step 5: Tips and Hints
- Make sure you have tagged yourself in the mini-images or they won't display. Tag them from last (far right) to first (far left) to get them to show up in the right order
- If you're tagged in other images after uploading your mini-images, you can either untag them or mouse over them and click the "x" that appears in the top right corner to hide them (but keep yourself tagged in them)
- The mini-images should each be 97 x 68 pixels
- The image provided here can be used with MSPaint to create mini-images if you don't have or don't want to use one of the editing programs mentioned below (available either free or as a free trial)
- If you don't have Photoshop and want to use the template provided here, you can download a free trial of Photoshop directly from Adobe
- G.I.M.P. is also available for free and is very similar to Photoshop
- A free trial of Snagit is also available to allow you to take screenshots if you don't have a way of doing that that you like