Did your Phone discharged while playing pokemon go? OR It gets discharged while morning cycling.I had found the perfect solution for all of these problem.This is a very simple pedal power mobile charger.It uses a motor for charging our smartphone.
Step 1: HOW IT WORKS?
This is a very simple project that use a motor to charge our smartphone.I consists of a motor ,a ic so that it can regulate the voltage,a capacitor,diode bridge.I used both a 12v motor and a cycle dynamo.As dynamo is not easily available,but if you have one then I suggest using it as it is much better that a 12v motor.
Step 2: MATERIALS:
- 7805 IC regulator x1.
- Diodes x4.
- A 16v,2200 uf capacitor.(using a smaller cap will be better).
- 12v motor OR a cycle dynamo.
- Soldering Iron.
- Wire cutter.
- A mobile holder(If you don't have one than you can use zip ties).
- zip ties.
- A plastic box.
Step 3: MAKE THE DIODE BRIDGE
Making a diode bridge is very simple just follow the circuit diagram above and make your own diode bridge.If you want you can use a 4-channel receiver instead of a diode bridge.Once you are done with diode bridge you will have to AC input and 1 positive and negative output on the diode bridge.
Step 4: SOLDER EVERYTHING TOGETHER
Soldering was a challenge as soldering the capacitor and the IC was tough.Solder everything together using the circuit diagram above.
- First,solder the capacitor to the positive and the negative side of the diode bridge.
- Secondly,solder the ac input to the 12v motor or the dynamo.
- Than solder the input of the IC to the positive of the diode bridge.
- GND of the IC to the negative of the bridge.
- Output of the IC to the red wire of the micro usb charging cable.
- And negative of the diode bridge to the black wire of the micro usb charging cable.
Step 5: PUT ALL TOGETHER IN THE BOX
Take the circuit and put it inside the box,cut the holes for the wire in the sides of the box.Use a glue gun to fit the circuit in the box.
Step 6: COLOR THE BOX
Use a spray paint to color the box according to the color of your cycle.In my case I used a black duct tape.
Step 7: USING THE DYNAMO INSTEAD OF MOTOR
A dynamo is a type of motor specially designed for the cycle,it has a gear that rotates when comes in the contact of the cycle tire.You just need to connect the dynamo output to the AC inputs of the diode bridge.
Step 8: PUT EVERYTHING ON THE CYCLE
Just use the zip ties for holding the box and the wires.Dynamo has a cycle mount with it so there is no need for zip ties for dynamo.If you are not having a mobile holder that also put zip ties for the mobile.
Step 9: TEST IT!
Rotate the back tire and using a multi-meter check the amount of voltage it is producing.If it is shoing 4.9v or 5.1v than we are done.
Step 10: GO OUT FOR CYCLING
Take your cycle and start pedaling.
PRECAUTIONS AND COMMON PROBLEM:
- Check that dynamo head is touching the tire.
- Solder things properly.
- Check that the phone is properly placed on the cycle.
- Do not play pokemon go while driving.
IMPORTANT THING TO DO:
- VOTE FOR ME.
- FAVORITE MY INSTRUCTABLE.
- SHARE MY INSTRUCTABLE.
- FOLLOW ME FOR MORE INSTRUCTABLE.