I had a really old keyboard lying around that I planned to use to make a Keylendar. Upon opening it up I noticed that the circuit sheets were a really pretty bluey/green colour. I thought this would make a great lampshade.
For the light source I used an LED puck light connected to a USB cable so that I can have it near my computer. The light cast through the lampshade is not overly bright but it makes for nice mood lighting.
Step 1: Materials and Tools
- Old or unwanted keyboard
- Light and power source ( I used an LED puck light connected to a USB cable)
- Metal tin
- Clear packing tape
- Hole punch
Step 2: Measure and Cut the Sheet
- Dismantle your keyboard and extract your circuit sheets.
- Roll the sheet into a cylindrical shape and fit into your base.
- Mark where the sheet begins to overlap and cut off the excess
Step 3: Tape
Apply clear packing tape to one edge of the sheet, roll it into a cylinder and tape the edges together. Fold any excess tape over the rim or cut off.
Step 4: Prepare Light
- If you have never made a USB light before simply strip the end of the USB cable that is not connect to the computer.
- You will have four wires inside, ignore the white and green ones (you can just cut these off), the red is positive and the black is negative.
- Since the voltage from the cable is 5V and my puck light uses 3V a resistor is required. Use http://ledcalc.com/ to assist you in finding the right resistor.
- Connect the positive (red) wire to the resistor and the resistor the the positive part on the light then the negative(black) to the negative. The light should now work.
Glue the light onto the base of the lamp.
Step 5: Make a Hole for the Cable
We will need a hole in the lampshade for the cable to exit. With the hole punch make a hole on the circuit sheet cylinder just above the edge of the base and make a small slit from the hole to the bottom. Slip the cable through the slit to sit in the hole.
Step 6: Glue Top and Bottom
Once the circuit sheet cylinder and light source is ready simply put it all together and glue the base and top on.
I used the metal lid and bottom of a container of bath salts. The lid was used for the base since it had a nice rim. I'm not entirely happy with the part that I used for the top but when I went back to the store to buy more of the same bath salts (with the nice lid that I could use) I was disappointed to find that they no longer sold them. I've been on the look out ever since.
First Prize in the
Keyboard vs. Mouse Speed Challenge
lezogeek made it!