There are many times when you feel very dark in the room during the night and you wish to have a soothing night light in the room. Many designer lights are now available in the market but they lack the excitement of creating one yourself at home.
In this Instructable, i decided to make a simplest LED Night light at home. This night light is based on the principle of scattering of light and forms various random patterns inside a liquid.
Step 1: Watch the Video
A video is a wonderful tool that provides deep insight to the procedure and makes it easy to follow. However, also visit next steps for additional details and images.
Step 2: Order Parts
- LED 5mm RGB - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Coin cell Battery - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Battery Holder - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Switch - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Hand PCB Drill - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- Stationary Knife - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/...
- Soldering Iron - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1...
- LED 5mm RGB - http://amzn.to/2gMTfDk
- Coin cell Battery - http://amzn.to/2ti4TIo
- Battery Holder - http://amzn.to/2xW52pY
- Switch - http://amzn.to/2xUtkjS
- Hand PCB Drill - https://amzn.to/2E241Al
- Stationary Knife - http://amzn.to/2q879jK
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2r3IX6g
- LED 5mm RGB - http://amzn.to/2iVh3pQ
- Coin cell Battery - http://amzn.to/2eCzrSO
- Battery Holder - http://amzn.to/2yGdUgt
- Switch - http://amzn.to/2wu3K1P
- Hand PCB Drill - http://amzn.to/2eVaOO5
- Stationary Knife - http://amzn.to/2q1kb6M
- Soldering Iron - http://amzn.to/2qC47qG
From Home & Local Store: Small plastic Bottle, spray paint, Glitters, water (or glycerine) and connecting wires.
Step 3: Prepare the Base
- Take a small plastic water bottle.
- Using a marker, make a boundary along the neck.
- Using stationary knife, uniformly cut along the marked line.
- Also, cut along the bottle mouth.
- We now have a transparent spherical cone like structure.
- The cone line structure will act as the base for the night light, therefore, it is recommended to paint it black.
- The structure will also act as the enclosure for the battery.
- Using knife carve a slit at the bottom to insert a switch.
Step 4: Add the Components
- Take a plastic bottle cap.
- Using Hand PCB drill, make two holes at the center of the bottle cap.
- Insert an LED in the holes as shown in the image attached above.
- Secure the LED with hot glue.
- Make sure that the LED legs are completely sealed with hot glue to prevent contact with water.
- Take a switch and insert it in the slit made in the base.
- Connect the LED leg to one of the switch terminal.
- Connect other switch terminal to the coin cell holder.
- Using a wire, make connection between the remaining LED leg and the coin cell holder.
- Test the working of the circuit using the switch.
Note: Make sure to refer to the images above or watch the video to avoid any errors.
Step 5: Prepare the Bottle
- Take the small water bottle.
- Put some glitters in the bottle.
- Fill the bottle completely with water. Note: You can also use glycerine solution instead of water.
- Tightly close the bottle with the LED mechanism and shake the bottle really well.
- Insert the bottle in the cone like structure as shown in the image above.
Step 6: Finish LED Light
Our LED Night Lamp is now ready. Place the lamp over the desk and turn it ON. The RGB LED will glow in various patterns and provide a soothing ambience in the room.
However, if you plan to use the light throughout the night then it is recommended to connect a 100 ohm resistor in series to the LED and use a 5v wall adapter (mobile charger) as the power source because a coin cell battery will not be able to work so long.
So Friends, this here concludes the instructable, stay tuned and Follow to receive regular updates. In case you might have missed, watch the video and see how i made this wonderful LED Night lamp at home.
Make this amazing toy yourself and contact us or share your experiences on our facebook page, twitter and instagram. You can also SUBSCRIBE to our Youtube Channel GOODTECH - Creativity And Science, where i frequently post new and creative content.
Thanks for your Support..!!