Introduction: Make Coconut Oil at Home
In this Instructable I show you how to make coconut oil at home.
I was also very curious how much oil one coconut would give me.
Products/Materials I used:
- 1 brown coconut
- Pots / pans
- Knife -Towel / Shirt or Cheese cloth
Step 1: Check Out My Quick Video Tutorial!
This video will show you how to extract the oil from a coconut.
Along with the video you can follow the (easy) steps below :-)
Step 2: Get an Aged Coconut
Get an ‘old’ brown coconut (or as many as you like), let the water out and cut them open.
If you want to extract the oil, the old mature coconuts are better to use then young coconuts.
- To let the water out look for the 3 spots on to coconut. They’re soft and easy to open. Poke a hole with a knife or a screwdriver. Let the water out.
- To open up the shell you can use a hammer or a big knife. But I smashed it open into the kitchen floor. Also very easy, but be careful not the damage your kitchen (or not to harm your self).
- Remove the meat from the shell
- Cutt the meat to smaller pieces
- Place it in the blender.
- Add some hot water and blend it into a paste.
- After blending put the mixture into a bowl and massage it.
Step 4: Separate the Water From the Cream
- Get a cheesecloth, an old (clean) shirt or a kitchen towel and squeeze all the milk out of the paste.
- Let it sit for a couple of hours (or overnight) until the water is separated from the cream.
Step 5: Cook to an Oil
Scoop the cream carefully off the water and place it in a pan on a medium fire. Make sure not to put your fire too high otherwise the coconut will burn and you will taste this later in the oil.
Cook until all the water disappeared and just the oil and coconut chunks are left.
It took me 45 minutes.
Step 6: Filter the Oil
Seperate the oil from the coconut chunks
and filter the oil one more time with you’re cheese cloth.
Step 7: Finish
Done, now you can place your oil into a jar or store it however you like. And it’s ready to use.
For cooking or for your skin / hair. There are many used for coconut oil.
Thank you for having a look at my instructable ;-)