Last year, I wanted to be Maleficent for carnival but could not find a decent headpiece - so I decided to make my own! :)
Step 1: Find Something to Attach the Horns To
I used an old fleece running cap. I had bought some cheap devils horns, but they were partly red of course, so I had to paint them black. I used high shine laquer to do this. To attach the horns to the fleece cap, I used black heavy duty tape.
Step 2: Centre Piece
I used an scrap of fake snake leather, which I cut into a square, painted it with lilac laquer - just to add some colour and I used the same heavy duty tape to secure it beween the horns on the fleece cap, rotating it to make sure it formed a triangle in the middle of the head piece. Before securing it to the cap I used the tape to conceal the cutting edges.
Step 3: Details Are Important
To get nearer to the original, I used black electric tape and created the zigzag pattern on the horns.
Step 4: Final Step - Cover Up the Tape
I used a length of elastic fake (almost rubber like) leather cloth, which I drapped "turban-like" around the cap and horns, making sure the complete (ugly) taping was covered. I do not have pictures on how I drapped it, because it was difficult enough to get it right, without having to stop to take pictures! ;) I then thought hard about how to secure the cloth without having to sew it into place, because that would have destroyed the look! Finally I settled for my trusted hot glue pistol and glued everything into place after I was satisfied with the fit!
Step 5: Ready!!
So this is the finished headpiece -of course I also built the staff, so here are some pics of that and the complete outfit as well! :)