Provided you start with raw shrimp that have already been shelled and deveined, it will only take you about 6 minutes to cook this recipe once you have prepped all of the ingredients - and that can be accomplished in the short time it will take you to open a bottle of good white wine and slice up some green onions, garlic, and a jalapeno pepper. I served the scampi over Ronzoni Angel Hair Pasta, and that only takes about 5 or 6 minutes to cook once the water boils!
Step 1: INGREDIENTS:
- 1/2 lb Large Shrimp, shelled & deveined (about 16 shrimp)
- 5 TBS unsalted butter
- 4 green onions with tops
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and deveined (optional)
- 1/4 cup good white wine (Chardonnay, Pino Grigio or similar)
- 1 TBS fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Anchovy Paste or 2 anchovies rinsed and mashed (optional)
- S & P to taste
- 2 TBS grated Parmesan Cheese (for topping)
Step 2: PREPARATIONS:
- Smash, peel, and finely chop (or mince) the garlic cloves.
- Slice up the green onions (use the white and light green parts in the recipe; chop up the dark green parts and save for a garnish).
- Remove the stem, seeds, and white veins from a Jalapeno and dice the flesh (that's an old picture; I only used one in this recipe. Although optional, Jalapenos are very mild when prepared this way and they add a nice flavor to the recipe).
- Melt 5 TBS of unsalted butter in a heavy non-stick pan or cast iron skillet.
- While the butter is heating, you can shred some Parmesan cheese for a topping if you would like.
Step 3: INSTRUCTIONS:
I like to have all of my ingredients ready and handy when I begin to cook. As you can see the butter has melted in the skillet and the ingredients I am going to use are all there, on the stove top (1/4 cup of white wine, 1/2 of a small lime in the juicer, chopped garlic & jalapeno pepper in the black dish, chopped green onions, ,a tube of anchovy paste, and a plate of raw shrimp).
- Add the mixture of garlic and chopped jalapenos to the melted butter and stir fry for 2 or 3 minutes, or until softened (don't let the garlic brown).
- Add the wine, lime juice, green onions, a teaspoon of the anchovy paste if using, and the shrimp to the pan and stir fry gently until the shrimp become pink (turn them over occasionally). This should take from 4 to 6 minutes, depending on the type of pan you use and whether you have a gas or electric stove.
- Once the shrimp have turned a light pink, remove the pan from the heat; taste the liquid and season with S&P if needed.
Step 4: TIME TO EAT . . .
Tender & tasty fresh shrimp in a sauce of butter, garlic, and green onions, with a hint of jalapeno pepper, served over angel hair pasta. Garnished with grated Parmesan and sliced green onion tops and enjoyed with a glass of chilled Conco y Toro Frontera Chardonnay. Who could ask for more?
Step 5: NUTRITION
I have prepared the nutritional value of this recipe to the best of my ability using the MyFitnessPal Recipe Analyzer. Click to enlarge the image (Pasta is not included in the nutritional analysis).