Recently I got really enthusiastic about doing macrames and growing / taking care of plants. This is a product of joining my two new hobbies together.
Step 1: Tools and Ingredients
For Swinging pot you will need:
- hot glue gun
- battery drill
- old newspaper
- rope (~ 5 m)
- piece o wood
- magnet (you can harvest it from an old HDD drive)
- paint for wood
- terracotta pot
- soil and plant of your choice
- 2 toothpicks
- 2 popsicle sticks
Step 2: Preparing Wooden Part of the Swing
- Take a piece of wood of your choice and cut it to size of about 10 by 3 cm (depending of the size of your pot).
- Mark for drill holes about 1 cm from each edge of the wooden board.
- It is best to start drilling with a thinner drill piece and increase the thickness with each run, so the board won't break apart.
- Paint your wooden board (optional).
Step 3: Preparing Ropes for the Swing
- Cut your rope to the length of about 2 m (2 pieces) and 50 cm (2 pieces).
-Take one 2m and one 40 cm piece of rope and fold them in half.
-Tie one rope around the other as seen on the picture. You should have a loop at the top.
- Repeat the pattern on the picture untill you get about 7 cm of the macrame. It is important to leave the shorter ropes in the middle untouched and only use the longer ones to create this pattern.
- To create a second pattern, just take one of the longest ropes and wrap it around the other ones for about 3 cm.
- Return to pattern one for about 7 cm.
- Repeat the whole process for the other rope.
Step 4: Creating a Swing
- Push both ropes through the holes on the wooden board.
- Repeat pattern 2 from previous section for about 2 cm and tie a knot at the end.
- Do the same for the other rope.
- Cut all ropes to the same size.
Step 5: Tassels
- break apart all the ropes as much as possible.
- Use leftover pieces of rope from previous step and create a braid out of them.
- cut one end of the braid and glue it with hot gun. Repeat on the other side of the braid.
- Wrap the braid around the tassel and glue both ends of the braid together.
- Repeat the process on the other rope.
- Trim tassels evenly to size.
Step 6: Magnet Implant
- Screw a small screw on the middle of the wooden board.
- Hot glue a small but relatively powerfull magnet to the bottom of the pot.
- Stabilize the fixture with toothpics - push them through the middle of the macrame rope, where it sits in the wooden board, so the pot does not overturn so easily.
Step 7: Hang It, Plant It, Swing It
- Use popsicle sticks to hang your swing (you can use alternative methods, depending of your location of the swing).
- Check for stability of the pot on a swing.
- Plant your favourite plant.
Step 8: Enjoy
- Rest your eyes on your little indoor jungle. ;)