With a light therapy lamp on your hat, you can use it while doing activities that requires moving around such as exercising and working. This lamp has red, yellow, cyan, and blue LEDs with brightness control. It turns off after 15 or 45 minutes. It's powered by a rechargeable 8.4V battery.
In addition to blue LEDs, other colour were used because they have different benefits. Cyan LEDs may be an alternative to blue LEDs. You can turn each colour on or off for different applications such improving SAD, jeg lag, sleep, and energy.
Step 1: Microcontroller Module
This module has four switches for the brightness levels of red, yellow, and cyan/blue LEDs, and time.
Step 2: Lamp Module
- Lamp module includes four 15mA LED driver, four LED colours, and four colour selection switches.
- The red, yellow, and cyan LEDs were 0805. The blue LEDs were 5mm (make sure that they face the same direction as the other LEDs).
- An 8.4V or 9.6V NiMH battery should be used for stability.
Note that the cyan LEDs were 5mm and the red, yellow, and blue LEDs were 0805. The 5mm LEDs should be on the PCB traces side.
Step 3: Program
The program includes the timer, three PWM dimming channels for the LEDs, and a low battery monitor.
Step 4: Attach Lamp to Visor
Attach the lamp module, microcontroller module, and 9V battery holder to the hat.
Step 5: Install Diffuser for the Lamp Module
You can use clear plastic such as acrylic. Scotch tape was used to help diffuse the light.
Step 6: Make the Reflector
Aluminum tape was attached to a plastic strip.
Step 7: Install Reflector
Hot glue was used to attach the reflector to the lamp to increase its viewing area.
Step 8: Using the Lamp
- Press the button to turn it on or reset its timer.
- Click the button to turn it off.
- Use the switches on the microcontroller module to adjust the brightness of the LEDs or the timer setting.
- Use the switches on the LED module to select the colours.
Warning: Be careful not to reverse polarity when installing the battery. The fuse would blow.
Step 9: Possible Improvements
- Omit PWM dimming if brightness control isn't needed. The LEDs don't seem too bright without dimming. An idea is to use on off switches for selecting the LEDs. It's possible to use the ATtiny85 for a smaller footprint.
- Omit the blue LEDs if the cyan LEDs can substitute them.
- Mount the lamp closer to your eyes.
- Increase the timer duration.